NEW from Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA): English Learner Family Toolkit
Chapters 1 and 2 available. Additional chapters will be posted as they become available.
The topics include:
- Chapter 1_Enrolling Your Child in School
- Chapter 2_Attending Schools in the United States
Program Review - via the NDE website
- NDE: Program Review Learning Module
- USDE: Tools and Resources for Evaluating the Effectiveness of a District's EL Program
- English Language Program Review: The Written Report (NDE)
- LINK to fillable template for Program Review Written Summary (you'll be asked to make a copy)
EL Program Review Checklist Fillable Template
- Updated Program Review Checklist (2018-2019)
ATTENTION: Download as a Word document for checkable boxes to function properly
Language Magazine, March 2019
Great article to read for program review!
TransACT - via the NDE website
The Nebraska Department of Education purchased a statewide license to the TransACT Translation Library. ANYONE with a public or private school email address may create a login and access this library of translated forms. TransACT offers a collection of more than 50 proprietary legal and policy documents fully supporting parent communication mandates.
ELPA21 - NDE webpage dedicated to ELPA21 (Screener and Summative Assessment Information and Resources)
- 2018-2019 ELPA21 Screener Updates Video (YouTube)
- 2018-2019 ELPA21 Screener New Users
- 2018-2019 ELPA21 Test Admin Trainings and Resources
- 7/19/18 Email from NDE RE: ELPA21 (Resource links w/in the email)
- (Posted 2017-2018) NE Online Assessment System Requirements
- NEBRASKA ELPA21 HELP DESK
NDE homepage for English Learner Information and Support: NDE English Learner Programs
To access the NDE Secondary EL Workgroup: Secondary EL Workgroup Home Page
Newsletters and Special Topics
2018-2019 "Welcome Immigrant Families to Assist Academic Achievement" from Title I Monitor, May 2018
2018-2019 "Four Practices and Two Strategies That Invite ELs to Talk in Math" from ASCDExpress, August 2018
2018-2019 From the National Center for Research on Gifted Education (NCRGE):
- Report: Exploratory Study on the Identification of English Learners for Gifted and Talented Programs
- "15 Tips for Identifying Gifted EL Students"
2018-2019 "Improving Reading Skills Through Talking" from Edutopia, August 2018
- Classroom Instruction that Works with ELLs (2nd Edition Study Guide)
- OCR Guidance for English Learners and Limited English Proficient Parents
- State Assessment
- 2018 Update: Standards, Assessment, and Accountability (SAA) Winter 2018, Volume 20. See Page 23 for ACT information, Page 43 of NSCAS translation information, and Pages 53-60 for information specific to EL and RAEL (Recently Arrived English Learners).
- Spanish Language Version: Student-Friendly ELA Standards (NDE Site)
- Complete Set (in Spanish) of Student-Friendly ELA Standards (PDF) Note from NDE: A couple of corrections to the English one-pagers were made, and indicator numbers were added to make them more user-friendly.
- Explanation Brochure (in Spanish) of Student-Friendly ELA Standards (PDF)
- NDE ACT
- NDE ELA ELP Alignment Document - Within this document you will find sample lessons for comprehension (p. 4), writing, (p. 5) and reciprocal communication (p. 6) . You will also find the ELA Standards Instruction Tool (SIT) (p. 7).
- State Assessment Resources
- NSCAS Updates and Information: State and Local
- NSCAS Summative and Alternate Assessment Manual
- NSCAS Linguistic Supports: Folder of EL-Specific Excerpts from NSCAS Summative and Alternate Assessment Manual
- LINK to NSCAS Mathematics Reference Sheets (12/13/17 email)
- LINK to Google folder: NDE NSCAS Summative and Alternate Accessibility Manual specifically relevant to ELs (12/13/17 email)
- LINK to highlighted NSCAS Summative and Alternate Accessibility Manual (12/13/17 email)
- Additional Resources:
- TransACT - The Nebraska Department of Education purchased a statewide license to the TransACT Translation Library. TransACT offers a collection of more than 50 proprietary legal and policy documents fully supporting parent communication mandates.
- @NDE_EngLearners (twitter)
- EL Secondary Resource List (Updated annually by NDE Secondary EL Working Group)
- English Learner Proficiency Levels and Classroom Supports (NDE Secondary EL Working Group)
- Specific Language Resources (NDE)
Assessment/Evaluation and Response Planning
- ELPA21 Screener (NDE Website)
- Idea Proficiency Test (IPT)
- LAS Links Suite (Language Assessment Scales)
- Documents Available for Use from NDE EL Secondary Working Group (2017-2018)
- English Language Program Benchmarking - - In-Depth Interview Analysis (Hanover Research, November 2017)
From the Executive Summary: ...Hanover conducted eight in-depth interviews with district- and school-level EL educators, including assistant superintendents of educational services, directors of EL programs, EL teachers, and EL program specialists, coordinators, and consultants.
Sites and Organizations
- American English (AE) For English Language Teachers Around the World
- ASCD (Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development)
- AWL (Academic Word List) - Activities and Exercises
- CAL (Center for Applied Linguistics)
- Colorin' Colorado - A bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners
- MATELLs (Metro Area Teachers of English Learners) - UNO PLCs for EL Educators
- MidTESOL (MidAmerica Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- NABE (National Association of Bilingual Education)
- NCELA (National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition)
- TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- US Department of Education OELA (Office of English Language Acquisition)
Each site linked below offers excellent resources and information - check them out!
ESU #4 ELL Network (wikispaces will close July 31, 2018) Stay tuned for ESU #4's website
NDE: EL Secondary Working Group - Website dedicated to topics and resources for educators of secondary EL students (A good resource for MS and Elem EL educators)